Three years ago, yet it only seems like yesterday, that the most beautiful baby girl I have ever seen was born. At just the right time, on just the right day, Sonya R. D. came into this world and changed my life forever. It was Sunday, the Lord's Day, and it started like any other. She wasn't due for another week. During worship at church I felt what I thought was a contraction, but dismissed it thinking it must be those Braxton Hicks that everyone talks about :) Fifteen minutes later another one came, but I still wasn't giving it any serious thought. We made it through worship and went to class, the feelings still coming and going. At the end of class we gave our prayer request that I had been feeling some type of twinges and just keep us in your thoughts. I think we went out to lunch after that, then visited Curtis and Trina at their new house, and then proceeded to go house hunting with David as well as see his and Haley's new house. The whole time I'm getting these contractions, but they don't seem too bad. We finally made it home about 5 ish and I heat up leftovers for dinner. As I'm sitting there trying to eat, the pain starts to get a little worse and a little more frequent. I tell Daniel I can't eat anymore and that I'm going to find the book to see how far apart contractions are supposed to be before going to the hospital. Well, by now they have gotten a bit more intense so I say forget the book, I'm calling the nurse! When I call, she asks if I had been walking around a lot that day (which I had) and that can cause contractions. She told me to lay down and drink some water for about an hour and see if they subside. I did for an hour and a half and they did nothing but intensify! At this time they were only a few minutes apart and about a minute and a half in length. I called her again and she said I better go to the hospital. By now they are really bad and I still have a few things to pack! I try going down the hall to our bedroom to finish, but I double over in pain with every contraction. Daniel is getting a little panicky now and keeps telling me to stop through the pain, but I was determined to get packed and out of there! We are finally ready when Daniel says he's going to tell our neighbors that we are leaving (we lived in the apartment then and had made good friends with the people across from us). Well, the man that lives there is quite a talker and I kept waiting and waiting, more pain and more pain. Finally I went outside and said WE NEED TO GO!! It was about 10 pm by now. So we headed to the car, it was so hard to sit still for the 25 minute drive. Daniel tried to comfort me by rubbing my belly with one hand and drive with the other, but I was in no mood for comfort! I looked at him and said "JUST DRIVE!!!" We get to the hospital, Daniel parks in the circle drive (valet is gone by now) and we go to maternal observation. I got changed into a gown and went to the restroom, it was then that I lost my mucous plug. I get put in one of the obs rooms and get strapped to a monitor. The nurse asks me to fill out some paperwork (at this time security has asked Daniel to go move the car). I had to ask her what today's date was and she said "January 9"." January 9??" I asked. She said "yes". I told her that on this day last year I had a miscarriage. She was totally amazed as was I. I was convinced, though, that I would be in labor for hours and we wouldn't be having a baby before this day was over. Boy, was I wrong!! She checked my cervix and I was dilated 7 centimeters with "a bulging bag of water." She was ready to get me out of there and to labor and delivery because if my water broke that baby was coming out!! We made it to L and D and as I was transferring to the other bed my water broke. I don't even think Daniel was back yet. My L and D nurse introduced herself to me and started getting me hooked up to everything. A paperwork lady was sitting in a chair across the room trying to ask me questions and by now the contractions were very intense. I was breathing hard and lightly screaming through them :) I couldn't hear her and with all the commotion it was hard to pay attention. Finally my L and D nurse rattled off all the questions and I said yes or no to whatever she was asking. She said "Okay we have verbal! Let's go!" The paperwork lady came over, I scribbled a signature in between contractions. By now Daniel is back and trying his best to make me feel better. Part of the time I didn't want him even touching or talking to me and the other I was clinging to him because I hurt so bad and conveying a little bit of fear. The contractions are so intense, the nurse checks me and tells me it's time to push. I said "I can't push, I have to go to the bathroom!!" She said "That's not bathroom, honey, THAT'S BABY!" They haven't called the doctor yet, she has me push once to see how far I go, then tells me not to push through the next contraction and they would call the doctor. WHEN YOU HAVE THE URGE TO PUSH IT'S NOT EASY GETTING THROUGH IT! I managed to hold it that time, but with the next one she told me not to push, there was no way I couldn't! Sonya was on her way out!! The other nurses weren't paying attention so Daniel started to dive over there to catch her, but the charge nurse stepped in and said "no, I've got it" and proceeded to "deliver" my baby. What an incredible feeling to give birth! I was so amazed, the first words out of my mouth were "It's a baby!" I could not believe that I had just grown a baby in my body and delivered it. 5 pounds 14 ounces and 18.5 inches long. The other amazing thing was that she was born at 11:27 pm. January 9. Thirty-three minutes shy of the day being over....God is amazing, isn't He? What had been such a painful, sad day the year before was now replaced with new memories and joy.
Being the naive people that we were, thinking I would be in labor for hours, Daniel had left our cameras in the car. It wasn't until a few minutes later when his sister and mom showed up that we got pictures of our new little bundle. They didn't even know we had had her yet when they walked in (that's how fast it went). They were in transit the whole time we were having a baby. As they walked in, Daniel says "Well, you missed it!" His sister in disbelief said "nuh uh." Sonya was covered up as I was nursing so I pulled the blanket down and they were shocked! They stayed for awhile and we got moved to a regular room.
I had so much adrenaline going that I didn't sleep a wink that night. It was so hard not having anyone to talk to because Daniel had no problem sleeping, and I couldn't call anybody in the middle of the night. I watched the clock move so slowly all night and finally when it hit 4 something I called my mom knowing she'd be up because she was catching the earliest flight out to see us. What a day!!! I was so excited.
And now I have a beautiful three year old little lady that I am so blessed to have on loan, entrusted to me by the Lord. Me, of all people, given such a beautiful gift, and be called Sonya's mother. She is such a delight, very intelligent, and very independent. She loves to sing and dance and praise the Lord. She's a great big sister and mommy's helper.


12 comments:
I made it! I love reading birth stories. She is a precious girl and very blessed to have you! How can they be THREE?!
i made it through! i loved it, it gave me cold chills! God is so good to us. plus it gave me some hope! we have been trying to have another for 6 mo. now... the first time around it was way too easy, nwo it seems like a feat that we will never accomplish. i know God is faithful, and I knwo that things will happen in His time, but sometimes it is just not easy to be patient! each month is a disappointment all over again! so thanks for sharing your story...
i hope sonya's birthday was great!
I know I have heard this all before, but it made me cry. It is a beautiful story!!
Happy Birthday Sonya, we love you!!
I made it too! I love this stuff, it's like the whip cream on the pumpkin pie! I love Sonya and I can't believe it's been three years! She is such a blessing to me and my family and we don't know what we'd do without you guys!
Of course I made it through! That was a fascinating story! I loved every word of it. So glad you wrote it all down so that Sonya can look at it someday. Thanks for sharing it!
What a beautiful story. I'm so happy after what you had to go through that you are so blessed now.
Happy Birthday, Sonya!! Crazy that she's three!
What a great story. Just awesome. Happy Birthday to your sweet girl and we definitely need to get together!
I love this post! I was reading it like a movie, my eyes couldn't keep up~ I needed to read faster and faster! That is a great story! Happy birthday sweet girl!
I love hearing your story. I'm glad you had such a wonderful experience and that Sonya is a happy, healthy little girl.
The Lord does work in wonderful ways! Giving birth is something that strengthens my faith with God. Knowing that he watches over you and your baby for all those months and then blessing you with such a wonderful little person is the most wonderful gift in the world! You are a trooper! I hope that #3's delivery is fast and healthy:) It is funny how husbands can be doing nothing wrong but nothing right during labor!
I enjoyed reading your birth story! Thanks for sharing it! She's gorgeous!
Kim Hobbs Johnson
Post a Comment