Sunday, April 19, 2009

Susie Homemaker

Ever since we moved into our house I always thought this neighbor was the Betty Crocker, Susie Homemaker, Martha Stewart type. Her hair always in a messy bun and a flour dusted apron on when she comes out to check on her kids playing in the yard. Well, tonight my suspicions were confirmed when she brought a plate of chocolate covered strawberries to the door...
We actually met them when we came to look at our house and they were outside as we walked down the street. I asked them a few questions and got a good feel for the neighborhood. She and her husband have two kids, a boy in first grade and a girl just a few months older than Sonya. They live two houses down and for two years since we have been in our house their kids have always played out in their yard and sometimes come close to ours to say hi, but always pull the shy card and run back home. So, our kids really haven't played together. For some reason that all changed a couple of weeks ago. Their daughter actually came all the way to our yard and engaged in play with my girls! The next thing I know my kids are going to the neighbor's yard to play and their mom has given everyone popsicles! It has been so nice outside the girls have been outside a lot and their daughter comes over to play Barbies with Sonya on the front porch. The girls get along so well!
Today they were out playing and Daniel decides he wants to take our girls to the park. He went to ask our neighbors if he could take their daughter to the park as well. So they all went to the park and when they came home Daniel said the kids had a great time running around and playing especially our neighbor. Shortly after they got back she went home when it was time for us to eat dinner. After we eat Daniel takes the kids back to their room to get ready for bed and I start cleaning up the kitchen when the doorbell rings. I go to answer it and it is our neighbor mom with a little foil covered plate holding nine chocolate covered strawberries in individual little wrappers and all wrapped up in plastic wrap tied with a cute little ribbon. She gave it to us thanking Daniel for taking her daughter to the park! She said her daughter came home talking all about it and had so much fun. I kind of made a face and told her she really didn't have to bring us anything, it was no big deal, but she said "oh, it was just real quick" talking about whipping up the strawberries! Just real quick???
Now, it may sound like I am poking fun at my neighbor, but actually I WISH I was that thoughtful, creative, got-it-together to do the same thing! I have gotten so busy trying to get my own act together that focusing outward has taken quite a backseat. Even my spiritual life seems to have fallen apart. I love to send people notes, take meals to new moms or somebody else that needs it, make phone calls, invite people into my home.....I love hospitality! Now, here are my excuses....that third baby kind of rocked my world, then we went full force in to tax season, and then I got some family news that was quite disturbing and kind of sent me into a tailspin. Now, I am getting more used to having my hands full, we are now out of tax season, and I am coping with the stress better than before. Time to pick up the pieces! Hopefully now that Daniel is home more life will be back to normal and I will be able to get more done around the house. I have been reading a book called "The Busy Mom's Guide to Spiritual Survival" that is giving me some great pointers to fitting in the God time that moms so desperately need. Without Him, we couldn't do this mothering thing! I want to thrive and not just feel like I am surviving.
Hopefully soon I will be knocking on your door with a plate of chocolate covered strawberries in my hand. :)

3 comments:

Jamey said...

Here's my address... :)

I love having friendly neighbors. Sounds like you have an inspiring one too!

Lanie said...

Yep, we live in a yellow house... in Birmingham. :) I'll be looking for you.

You are such a great mom. Props for aspiring to thrive and grow more each day. God will surely bless your efforts many times over.

Erin said...

Just wanted to say I have found myself in the same situation. I don't have 3 kids yet, only 2, but I find myself not doing the things I always said I would do, no matter what. I recently said something about it and everyone jumped on me saying I had plenty to do and I didn't need to worry about anything besides taking care of my family. But I am with you!! I don't ever want my life to be consumed with ME. I want to try to help others as much as I can because I know how much I appreciate it when others do it for me. Thanks for the post!!